.

Dogs rescued following kitchen fire

Firefighters are urging people not to leave pans on stoves after two dogs needed rescuing from a kitchen fire in Biddulph.

Crews were called to a property on Coppice Close at 10.39am yesterday morning (11 March).

 When they arrived the fire had already been put out by a neighbour but two dogs at the property were suffering from smoke inhalation and needed oxygen therapy.

Station Manager, Dan Keeling said: “We believe the fire started when one of the dogs jumped up at the stove and accidentally turned on one of the rings. Unfortunately, there was a pan on the hob which burnt dry and caused the fire.

“The fire was out when the crews arrived but the dogs needed reviving as the kitchen was smoke logged.

"I believe one of the dogs is about 14-years-old but they seemed to respond well to the therapy and both were looking better when they were taken to the vet’s for a check-up.

“The kitchen is the room in the house where there’s most likely to be a fire. Leaving pans on hobs is never a good idea, especially if you have dogs.

"They can be attracted by the smell of what you’ve been cooking and this isn’t the first time we’ve had to go to a fire caused by a dog jumping up and accidentally switching on a cooker ring.

"If you need to leave a pan somewhere before you wash it and put it away, it’s safer to move it away from the cooker and not leave it on the ring.”

 

More from Local