Staffordshire Fire bosses are reminding residents to take care when smoking after another house fire was stared by a cigarette.
Crews were called to James Brindley Close at 10.36am yesterday (7 August) to reports of a fire.
Firefighters from Hanley and Newcastle attended and found the blaze had started in the bathroom. Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used one hose reel jet to tackle the blaze.
An investigation was carried out, and the cause is believed to be a cigarette left on a toilet roll in the bathroom.
Station Manager Neil Pederson said: “Unfortunately we see a lot of incident cause by careless disposal of smoking materials and often these fires can lead to serious injury and damage to the property.
"Fortunately the man inside the property was not harmed and we were able to get the fire under control quickly.
“Please always put smoking materials in an appropriate ashtray which is emptied regularly. Always ensure a cigarette is put out properly and do not leave them near flammable materials.”