Cat rescued from house fire

Fire crews have rescued a cat from a blaze at a house in Stoke-on-Trent.

They were called out to reports of a fire in a semi-detached home on Thelma Avenue, Brown Edge, at 10.12pm on Sunday (13 May).

Crews from Burslem, Biddulph, Kidsgrove and Hanley attended the incident, with four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entering the house to extinguish the fire and rescue the pet from an upstairs bedroom.

The cat was then given oxygen therapy using a specially designed animal oxygen mask.

The occupants were not home when the blaze started, which has left the property seriously damaged.

Station Manager Neil Pedersen said: “A fire investigation concluded the blaze started accidentally due to a four plug extension lead which was in use at the time. The extension was switched on with four plugs connected to the extension block but some clothing had accidentally fallen on top of the plugs, insulating them and causing them to overheat and the clothing to ignite.

“Fortunately no one was seriously injured during this incident and the crew were able to get the cat to safety and give it oxygen with the Smokey Paws mask.

“This incident is a reminder to residents to be extremely careful when using extension leads. Always ensure they are not overloaded, covered over or left close to any flammable materials.”

More from Local